Thursday, April 12, 2012

when subtle does not work...

I have known for awhile that I have needed to lose weight and get in shape.  I have known.  I have told myself on a daily basis - sometimes more than one time a day - a lot of the time I thought of it at every meal with every bite.  I thought about it when I was hot, when I was cold, when I walked by a mirror or a reflective surface...ok you get it - It has been on my mind for awhile.

I have tried to be subtle with myself.  I have thought about diets, exercise....in theory.  I have tried to start a regimen or a diet but have soon after resorted back to the old way of doing things due to my schedule....or let's just be honest here....my lack of will power and drive.

So, what does this tell me?  Two things actually...

1. I am full of excuses and laziness.

2. Being in shape is so far outside of my comfort zone....I can't even really see it.....

Point #2 is the one that brings this home to me.  That is the reason I started this blog.  To find things outside of my comfort zone and then tackle them!

So, the question is...How do I start?

Answer:  I don't know.  And, that my friends is where I usually stay....at that one statement....frozen... paralyzed...then defeated and lost.


What I do know is...

- I do not want to start a fad diet that will fail.
- I do not want to try to become a buff athlete.
- I do not want to fail...

- I want to be healthy.
- I want to be a good influence on my children.
- I want to look back one year from today and see a change...for the better.
- I want to start...now...today...
- I want to succeed!!!

A few things that I have come across when trying to figure out what plan to follow is usually boils down to the cost.  Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Metafast, all of those plans are expensive.  They don't seem to be at first, but they add up...you see your grocery bill inflate to crazy levels.

Then I remember the acronym you hear in business all the time.... KISS

Keep It Simple...Stupid!

Portion Size.  Frequency.  Non-Processed.  Get Out There.

I know I will need to work on some tangible goals, micro-goals if you will to get me to the ultimate goal.  So, that will be my first step.  MicroGoal #2 (MicroGoal #1 was getting this post up).  I will make this goal tomorrow and post it as soon as I get it planned out...

Here we go...ready...set....GO!

2 comments:

  1. I found that just starting to walk everywhere makes a huge change. At home, I live in the middle of nowhere & have to drive everywhere. But at uni, everything is in [not particularly short] walking distance, and it's really hilly, so I get a load of exercise by hardly ever having to use a car or bus. And it's crazy how much weight I've lost without even trying, and how in shape I've got. I definitely encourage you to start with something, if possible, like walking whenever you can, or if you're out in the sticks, even just getting off a bus a few stops early, or parking the car out of town so there's further to walk.

    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. Walking, is a must for me. I have my 'walking' shoes on today and plan to do some at lunch. However, now that you mention it - I realize I could have walked to the grocery store yesterday since I was only picking up two small bags of spelt flour and some honey... definitely walkable load...thanks for the encouragement - that it worked for you and is something so simple...and free!

    ReplyDelete