Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Blue Like Jazz...

I just finished reading a book by Dennis Miller called 'Blue Like Jazz'.  I have actually heard about this book for years, but have never taken the time to pick it up and read it until recently.

About a month ago, my husband and I went to a Gungor concert.  For those of you who do not know who Gungor is....oh how much you are missing.  Look them up, you will thank me.  Before the concert started they showed a movie preview.  As I was watching this, there was something familiar about it...as the preview continued I stared to think....this is not....but it was.  They had made a movie based on the book 'Blue Like Jazz'.  That was it, I decided then and there to pick up the book and get to reading.

It took me a couple weeks due to my schedule to read the entire thing.  However, when I did have time to read I would do so in large chapter lumps - simply because it was so good.  This past weekend I finally finished it (Monday to be exact).

The only thing I regret about this book is that I did not read it sooner.  I could totally relate to the author in this book.  Not that my life was anything like his - but the struggles he had with his faith, were eerily similar.  It was uncomfortable at times, and at others very liberating.  I loved to read how he had struggled with and questioned much of what I had throughout my years.

There were some aspects of the book that gave me a connection of 'ah-ha'... made sense to me of those rumblings inside of me that I could not quite put into words.

One quote that I love is...

“I loved the fact that it wasn't my responsibility to change somebody, that it was God's, that my part was just to communicate love and approval.” 
How true is that?  How often do 'we' try to change people?  Convict people of what we see is wrong in their life?  When it is really God's responsibility to do that....we are commanded to love!

If you are looking for a good read, get 'Blue Like Jazz'.  You will not regret reading it!





No comments:

Post a Comment